Feb

Africa Laughing?

Has anyone else noticed the laughing over the drum intro to Africa by Toto? I heard it on my way home today, I had headphones in and the surroundings were very quiet, which helped pick out the rather quiet second or two of laughter during the first few bars. A quick Google search revealed no-one else talking about this – surely it can’t have gone unnoticed in such a famous song?!
In other news, I’m working rather hard at my Third Year Project. My presentation is Friday 13th, and there are quite a few little things to sort out by then. It’s going to be a tough couple of weeks! Similarly, Drongo Sealion Magic are through to the final of Battle of the Bands, which is on Tuesday. How we got through is a mystery, we played terribly with a huge number of technical issues, but apparently we coped with them all very well, which is cool. I’m really excited about playing in the final, it would be nice to win it since this might be my last year of doing it, but we’ll see. Fingers crossed!

Comments ( 11 )
  • Wade says:

Yes! I just now heard the laugh. It’s likely Lenny Castro, who played conga on the song, or Toto drummer Jeff Porcaro, God rest his soul.

• Obesity Boy says:

Yeah, just heard and googled it afterwards which brought me here. Respect for being detailskilled and musicnerdish.

• Aussielad says:

Thank you Im not mad!!! lol

Love to hear the story to why they kept it on there and the story behind it.

I googled it too 🙂

• Derek says:

And I thought I was the only one to hear the laugh….Thank god!

• Grant says:

Was just listening through headphones in quiet also and heard it and Google brought me here.

Loving it!

• Gordon Stewardson says:

I must have heard it first in the 80’s as a teenager when I used to listen to it on tape in my walkman. Its so soft you;d miss it unless you had it on really loud. To me it really sums up the joyous feeling of the song.

• Shakar Jacob says:

I heard the laugh also and was wondering if anyone else on Earth had noticed or cared to comment on it – actually it’s such a good energy song, and that subtle laughter really sets it out on such a suitable vibe and pace. Googled the laugh and here I am. Hope that laughter will continue throughout eternity. God bless 🙂

• JD Boucharde says:

Awesome. Just put on “Africa” this morning, and noticed the laugh for the first time in ages. I discovered it for the first time when I was a kid: it was the first album I bought with my own money. Just googled “Can you hear the laugh in Toto’s Africa?”, and your post came up. Ain’t the Internets awesome? BTW, I’m a full-time musician now–check out my music on iTunes!! And maybe I’ll put a laugh in one of my next songs. . . 🙂

Peace- JD Boucharde (Papa Hoodlum & The Hard Truth)

• Oliver says:

I listened to the song probably a hundred times one time on a car ride and I heard it.

• Bulent Bicioglu says:

I listened this song 100s of time and noticed the laugh on left channel of headset for the first time just now 3.20am. It looks like I am not alone 🙂

• Samuel McDonald says:

Im so surprised this is out here. Ahhhhhhh no way man. I was just listening to the song and noticed it, then I googled it. Crazy to find all y’all have heard it too! Shocking that its been 9 years since the first post Long live great music man! :O